I’ve blogged about my organisation tricks in the past, I’m extremely OCD with arranging and storing all my things, I’ve been buying lots of organisers to make sure all my “clutter” stays neat and tidy in my room.
I really wanted to run through some easy (and affordable) ways to organise your makeup, we all know it’s the biggest clutter space in a girl’s room and who doesn’t crave a gorgeously organised vanity area? Having everything neat also helps when it comes to putting on your makeup, plenty of space to work!
I’ll condense this list into 8 steps, all super easy and I’ll also share some DIY tips if money is tight but you want it organised now!
1. Buy a great table. This is the only expensive step on the list. The table is the foundation of your beauty space, everything else on this list works around and with it. I love the Malm from Ikea, it was €100 when I bought it a little over a year ago and I would honestly recommend it to everyone. It’s so sleek and stylish, with a huge drawer for storing lots of makeup! I store all my palettes in here, there’s enough space to line them all up and keep them in view.
I searched high and low when looking for an elegant dressing table, I did come across plenty of cheaper options, some with mirrors attached but I fell in love with the Malm, especially when I researched how other makeup hoarders used theirs! Another factor was the space available to me, I have an attic room, with sloped ceilings that unfortunately limit the height space. This table sits perfectly, it’s just the right height and width for my room. I would say that the table should be an investment, you’ll have this for years if you choose wisely! I picked up a cheap white chair in Argos that went beautifully with this table and the rest of my white furniture.
2. Add extra drawers! The table you choose may come with storage space, but if you’re anything like me it simply won’t be enough. Luckily there are so many drawer units available, both pricey and budget-friendly. I chose the Alex Unit from Ikea, again because I’d seen so many finished results and they looked amazing. The 6 drawer unit was perfect for my room, 9 drawers are just too tall and bulky. Drawers are the perfect place for extra makeup, things you use for special events or just not regularly enough to warrant pride of place. This drawer unit cost €50 but you can find similar if you browse. Again, this is an investment piece if you have a lot of makeup.
3. Find a decent organiser to sit on your beauty table! Use this for all your favourite products, things you like to keep close to hand. You’ll need all your makeup easy to reach on those early mornings. I found this beauty in Argos, at a time when makeup organisers were still relatively new and hard to find. It cost €27 if I remember correctly but you can pick up lovely ones in Homestore + More for less, in all shapes and sizes. They even sell beautiful three drawer organisers for around €69.99 You wouldn’t need another if you went for the largest option! Penneys and Tiger (believe it or not!) Also stock smaller sized organisers. Perfect for those who don’t hoard as much, or even those who have too much and need something for the surplus!
4. Drawer Organisers are an absolute must! These inserts, from Homestore + More, are called Linus Drawer Inserts and they range from €2 to €8 depending on size, they fit in both the Malm and Alex units. They really tidy up clutter that can end up in drawers, because it’s hidden it’s easy to let drawers become messy! If you have lots of fiddly makeup like mascaras, eyeliners or even lipglosses, these inserts help divide them up and sit neatly inside the drawers. For a quick fix, or if you fancy yourself as creative, you can easily make your own inserts using cardboard (cereal boxes work fine) and creating little boxes of different sizes and shapes. Buy some coloured/design paper and wrap around for a pretty finish!
5. Add some extra touches! I love lipsticks, and I have so many that they don’t all fit in my makeup organiser or sit neatly in the drawer. It’s so easy to find lipstick holders now, in so many shapes and sizes! The above is the gorgeous “daisy” holder from Homestore + More, for only €3.99 you can’t complain, it holds 6 lipsticks and brushes/liners in the centre. The below is a sweet heart-shaped holder from Tiger. Only €3 and it holds 6 average lipsticks (two Nyx lip cremes can fit in together!) There’s also space for glosses, brushes or liners in the centre.
6. Pick up some stones, pebbles or crushed glass to hold brushes in place and make your organisers look pretty! Again, Ikea are the go-to place. I searched high and low for something along these lines, I couldn’t find anything remotely like I wanted until I stumbled across the tubs of crushed glass they sell for €3 each, in such a lovely variety of colours. I chose white and purple! They’re not only pretty, they do a brilliant job holding all my brushes in place, it’s great to be able to see all the different brushes while making sure they don’t rub off one another.
7. Think outside the box! Pinterest is one of my favourite places for unique ideas and this is one I came across that I just loved. Find a fancy cake stand and use it to display your perfumes, or anything that takes your fancy really. I found the below beautiful glass stand in Tiger and it only cost €5! It’s such an elegant way to display pretty things.
8. Use every space! Don’t neglect wall space when organising your beauty area. As a nail polish lover I always wanted a nail rack, but yet again they’re impossible to find. Another unique, DIY tip is to use spice racks! I did, I picked up two from my favourite place Ikea, for €3 each and painted them white to match my decor. They’re the perfect size to fit a tonne of polishes (three rows!) And they’re super esay to attach to the wall.