Today’s blog challenge is all about my 10 favourite songs! I love music, all genres, so this is tough. I decided an easier way to do this, for the songs that don’t automatically stand out as favourites, would be to name my favourite song by my favourite artists, so some of the below will be listed for that reason! After number 1 there’s no particular order because that’s just too hard to organise.
1. Africa by Toto is my all-time favourite song, I can’t even explain why but it’s been my favourite since the first time I heard it and I wouldn’t hesitate to name it as my favourite if asked. It’s just one of those golden oldies that holds a special place in my heart! The Jason Derulo remix/sample Fight for You is a good tribute and I love it.
2. Home by Westlife, not the Michael Bublé song but one from their album Turnaround in 2003. A beautiful ballad, not released as a single but in my opinion one of their best! I love everything Westlife have ever done but there you go, a hidden gem for all you folks who didn’t collect their albums and see every tour!
3. In my Head by Jason Derulo is another favourite that hasn’t changed since its release! I love Jason Derulo and I’ve seen him live twice, once when he performed during Childline and finally his very own tour this year with his album Everything is 4. I’ve loved almost all of his songs and it’s really hard to choose a favourite because there’s so many but because I’ve loved this one since 2009 I’d say this takes the top spot!
4. Maniac 2000 by Mark McCabe obviously has to feature on this list since it’s the song I always request at the end of every night out and like a lot of Dubliners born in the 80s/90s I turn into a maniac when I hear it! It’s just one of those songs that always gets me dancing and singing along, even if it’s played first thing in the morning!
5. More Than That by the Backstreet Boys will always be a favourite, they were and still are one of my favourite bands of all-time and I was lucky enough to get to see them live when they came to Dublin last year! Of the hundreds of songs they’ve released, all of which are amazing and feature on my iPod, I wouldn’t hesitate to say this is my favourite. Nearly always cry when I listen to it!
6. For this one I’m going to name a few, all Disney songs from Pocahontas because it’s my absolute favourite! My first has to be Colours of the Wind, my all-time favourite Disney movie FYI. I love how strong she is, able to make tough decisions and sacrifice her own happiness for the good of her people. She’s the original independent woman, forget about Frozen. I also love the strong theme of nature in the film! All of the music is beautiful and I could listen to it endlessly so another favourite has to be If I Never Knew You sung during the credits by Jon Secada and Shanice, another song I can’t help but cry listening to!
7. Fallen Angel by Chris Brown is definitely a song I listen to a lot. It never gets old. It’s another slightly obscure song that his fans might only know about because it was released as an extra track on the Japanese edition of his album Exclusive. I’m absolutely raging I’ll miss his Dublin gig this year because I’m away! Another trip to see him in Vegas sounds like the only way to go!
8. California Love by Tupac is an ultimate favourite, I know it’s so typical to name one of his most popular songs as a favourite but I have all of his albums on my iPod and this is honestly just my favourite. There are so much more emotional and meaningful songs but I can’t help bopping along to this!
9. Livin’ on a Prayer by Bon Jovi is without a doubt my favourite of all their songs, typical I know but it’s such a belter. If I was to pick another, I’d pick I Want You, one of my favourite slow songs. So romantic but heartbreaking, I love a good emotional song.
10. Euphoria by Loreen, I’m not even ashamed to admit I’m a Eurovision fanatic and this is the best winning song! I actually love her and I got her album as soon as it came out, she has some brilliant dance songs on there. I have great memories from this one too.
I have no doubt there are plenty of songs I forgot to mention but these are some of my favourites and always will be. They’ve stood the test of time!